I know it’s already a little more than a week into 2014––but I didn’t start this blog until yesterday, so … Happy (belated) new year, everyone!
I thought it would be a good idea to come up with some writing resolutions for the year, especially because I didn’t get as much accomplished in 2013 as I might have liked to. I did finish the first draft of one manuscript, but I’m not sure if I’m going to continue with it because I didn’t feel much enthusiasm for it. However, I did start my current WIP, I Chose the Monster, which is one thing I’m happy about.
But anyway, on to the things I hope to get done yet:
– Finish my first draft of I Chose the Monster. I wrote the short story version of it back in 2012, and started the novel version sometime in the spring of 2013 I believe. So, it’s been quite a while. But in the past month or so I’ve been making a lot of progress on it, and I’m hoping to get the first draft done soon-ish––maybe before the end of March or so.
– Revise, revise, revise! After I finish my first draft of ICTM, I’m hoping to start going over it and rewriting it … then sending it out to a few beta readers for feedback, revise some more, etc. I tend to eventually give up with this process, but I’m hoping that with this book things will be different.
– I’d like to at least start drafting a query and synopsis for ICTM. I kind of doubt I’ll be ready to start querying by the end of the year, but I would like to at least start thinking about it.
– Start my first illustrated novel! My college has this process where, during our fourth year, we work on independent year-long projects of our choice. So, I’m planning to write and illustrate a book for mine. I’ve never really illustrated my own work before, so I’m really looking forward to it. I won’t officially be starting this project until September, but I will start planning it soon!
– At least attempt NaNoWriMo, even though I’ll probably be extremely busy when November rolls around. But I’ve won for six years in a row, and I would love to keep my streak going! But I think for NaNo ’14, I’ll be slightly less ambitious than I was for NaNo ’13 … This past NaNo, I put too much pressure on myself to write something awesome and I ended up hating what I was working on, so hopefully that won’t happen again.
I think that’s about it! Hopefully during 2014, I’ll be able to finish at least some of the above things. Hooray!
Anyone else have writing resolutions for 2014?