I’ve seen this on a few other writers’ blogs so I decided I would try it out myself! (Especially because I haven’t posted anything in a while … Sorry, I’ve been in a bit of a slump lately. And I know I forgot about Teaser Tuesday this week––oops. Hopefully by this coming Tuesday I’ll be back in the swing of things.) So anyway, here goes:
THREE THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. I’m currently a college student, studying creative writing and the visual arts. At my school, we’re required to complete a year-long independent project during our fourth year, and I’m hoping to write and illustrate my own YA novel. I love illustrated YA books but I don’t think there are enough of them––so naturally, I’m going to try to do one myself!
2. I’m the oldest of six kids––so yeah, I have five younger siblings. 🙂
3. Lately I’ve been dyeing my hair weird colors. It’s greenish/bluish right now. (No, it’s not for St. Patrick’s Day as about five thousand people have asked me already, haha.)
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:
1. Well, first of all I’m one of those people who just can’t watch horror movies/TV shows. I’m really squeamish and I don’t like watching things where people get violently killed; I hate blood and guts. (Which is really ironic because I’m writing a violent horror-ish book right now … Hmm. I tend not to mind writing/reading horror so much as seeing it, though.)
2. Water. I’ll swim once in a while (but usually just in the ocean, because I don’t like swimming pools very much), but I don’t like being in the water for very long periods of time because it tends to be cold and unpleasant. On top of that, I have an irrational fear of drowning.
3. Speaking of irrational fears … outer space. I know I’ll probably never be in outer space, but the thought of it really freaks me out––just the idea of being alone in space and floating around forever … It’s a pretty weird fear but for some reason it really scares me. I don’t like watching movies about people going into space because it makes me super anxious.
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:
1. My laptop. I need it for writing, homework … and of course the Internet.
2. My iPod. I like having music with me wherever I go, even if I’m just walking from one class to another. It helps to give me more energy and it makes me happier.
3. Friends/Family! I love being with the people I’m close with and having someone to talk to if I need it (and vice versa, of course––that is, being there for other people when they need to talk).
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE HOBBIES:
1. Writing … 😉 And reading. I feel like the two kind of go hand-in-hand.
2. Art! I especially love drawing, although lately I’ve gotten a bit more into painting as well. You can see some of my artwork here!
3. I love music, both listening to it and playing it myself. I’m almost constantly listening to music and I love going to concerts. I’ve always loved singing, and I’ve been trying to learn to play some musical instruments––mostly the ukulele, but also the piano and the guitar.
THREE CAREERS YOU’RE CONSIDERING/YOU’VE CONSIDERED:
1. Well uhhh a writer? Haha. I know it’s pretty unrealistic to think I can afford to be a full-time writer of any kind, although I do still dream of becoming successful enough to write books for a living. But really I’d also be happy with any career that involves writing. Right now I have a work-study job where I interview alumni from my school and write articles about them, and I’ve been having fun with that … so I’d be happy with continuing to do writing jobs somewhere along those lines. Or maybe freelancing or … yeah, I don’t know. WRITING.
2. Designing/illustrating. As stated earlier, I love art as well. I still have a lot to learn/practice when it comes to art; I always feel really inexperienced/untalented compared to other art students I know. But I do enjoy doing it and I’m hoping to get good enough to maybe do some illustration in the future. I also am trying to learn more about graphic design and I also design book covers, which I find fun.
3. I’m really not sure what else … Teaching, I guess? I don’t know if I’d really want to be a full-time teacher but maybe if I could teach small writing classes or something, that might be nice.
THREE BOOKS YOU HAVE RECENTLY READ:
1. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (currently reading)
2. The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa (ARC, currently reading)
3. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (which I loved!)
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WORKING ON, WRITING WISE:
1. If you’ve been following my posts, you’ll know this already––but right now I’m working on a first draft of a novel called I Chose the Monster which is kind of a zombie apocalypse book, except the creatures in it aren’t technically zombies … just zombie-like. But yeah. Mostly it’s about two young women who team up to hunt monsters, which I thought would be cool because I haven’t read a lot of books about friendship between young women; it seems like more YA books are focused on romance, so I wanted to try something a little different.
2. As I said earlier, I’m going to be starting a big independent project starting in the fall, so I’ve started to do a little planning for that. I’m not 100% sure about what I’m going to write yet … but I have an idea I’ve been toying with for a while that’s kind of a twist on the whole superpowers/superheroes thing. So, stay tuned!
3. Recently I’ve really been wanting to write some realistic fiction––like just some kind of straightforward romance, but a more humorous one and with fun and well-developed characters. (I’m thinking something along the lines of Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins). Maybe it’s because I’ve been writing too much dark/depressing stuff lately, but I feel like I need to write something a little “lighter” I guess. I have inklings of an idea but it hasn’t totally come together yet.
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE:
1. Get a book published!
2. Travel around the world, go on more road trips, see more places, meet more people … That kind of thing.
3. I guess kind of the traditional things like maybe get married and have/adopt kids, but I don’t know … With these things I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
THREE CELEB IDOLS (or crushes):
1. Umm well right now I’m pretty infatuated with Dan Smith, the lead singer of the band Bastille. He’s just so adorable … and I love his crazy hair. Plus from interviews and stuff he seems like a really nice guy. And of course he’s also an amazing singer! 🙂
2. Benedict Cumberbatch. Yeah yeah, I’m one of those crazy Sherlock fangirls. But I just … I can’t help it. Those magical eyes! That voice! That acting! Aaahhh!
3. Amy Poehler. Because she’s adorable and hilarious and Parks and Recreation is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. And … she’s just super cool. 😀
1. “Do what you love and f*** the rest.” – Little Miss Sunshine
2. “I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” – Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
3. “Everything you can imagine is real.” – Pablo Picasso
So yeah, that was fun! Hopefully you guys learned a thing or two about me. And of course, feel free to copy this questionnaire and use it on your own blog. 🙂