Hi, everyone! It’s time for another #WIPWednesday/#WIPpetWednesday!
WIP: I Chose the Monster
Writing or Revising: Revising
Progress Since Last Week:
- I’ve edited up through Chapter 4.
- I continued working on my outline of all the scenes I wrote in my rough draft, and I’m about 75% done with that.
How It’s Going:
Things are going okay. Now that I’m starting to get in the swing of editing, it doesn’t feel quite so overwhelming. I’m also getting feedback from a couple other writers, and it’s really helping me. Some of their suggestions have confirmed some of my worries––which is good, because it makes me feel more compelled to tackle those things. But also they’ve pointed out things that never even occurred to me, and that has been really eye-opening.
Getting some feedback and starting my outline has made me feel a little more confident. A week ago, I was seriously considering chucking the entire first draft and starting from scratch. I was really overwhelmed with the work I had to do.
Now I’m thinking a lot of the story is actually salvageable. There’s a ton I need to rewrite, flesh out, add, and remove––but I’m trying to tackle it one thing at a time. If I get too caught up in trying to fix everything at once, I’m never going to get it done. It’s going to be a lot of work, but I’m starting to feel like I can do it.
Goals For Next Week:
- Finish the outline of my first draft.
- Edit at least two more chapters.
- I’m still struggling a bit with figuring out what the central conflict of my plot should be, since right now it’s all over the place. I’ve been thinking maybe I need more of a concrete villain, since right now I don’t really have one. If I had a character to kind of embody the conflict (if that makes sense), I feel like that might help. So, at least I’m going to think about that.
#WIPpetWednesday is a weekly meme where writers share a snippet of their WIP. The only rule is, it somehow has to be related to the date.
Today is 2/17, so this WIPpet is 17 lines from page 2 of the chapter I most recently edited.
“Your parents are right here.”
He barely finishes the sentence before my parents stumble into view. My mother’s dark hair is in disarray, and she frantically brushes the strands from her eyes. Her face is pale, while my dad’s face is flushed.
“Nina?” my mom cries. She presses her hands to the glass.
I’m in a dream, as I lower my feet to the floor and move to the window. Now my dad’s hands are also on the glass. I put my hands up too. One of my palms against each of theirs. But all I can feel is the hard coldness that separates us.
Tears finally swell at the corners of my eyes and spill down my face. My parents’ eyes are red, their faces streaked with wet trails.
“I’m sorry,” I choke out.
“No,” my mom says. “Nina …” She sobs, leaning her forehead against the window.
Whatever she was going to say, she doesn’t finish saying it.
Suddenly, I’m thinking of all the stupid arguments. The screaming matches. The times I’ve said I hated my parents just to use it as a weapon against them. All the things I’ve said and done just to hurt them.
God, I wish I could take it all back.
How about you guys?
- How are your WIPs going? Are things going well? Are you struggling with anything?
- If you’re a fellow #WIPpetWednesday participant, feel free to link me to your post!